April 26, 2016 § Leave a comment
Oh hey, guess who’s a bit of an expert these days? Me, according to Google’s online marketing certification engine, The Digital Garage. I finished my chosen modules last night and decided to go for the optional ones as well.
I learned some things, it was an easy process and LinkedIn loves me. Done.
February 25, 2016 § Leave a comment
I downloaded and printed Google’s content guidelines last week. I sat and read the whole darn thing (160 pages), highlighter and sticky tabs in hand.
Then I wrote two posts for Yell about it. That’s how enthused I was – one post wasn’t enough. I’ve been startlingly prolific recently. Despite reading less, I think my written output has increased hugely. The journal is to blame, I think. It sparks things in my mind that I then have to bash my keyboard in with.
Read Quality vs. quantity in content marketing and then read Page Quality Rating: what Google wants from your digital content. They’re not boring. They do sound a bit boring but they’re not.
January 8, 2015 § Leave a comment
How nice, another two blogs for Yell’s Knowledge Centre. It’s so weird seeing my stuff on there. I have used up hours of my life correcting Knowledge Center to Knowledge Centre and vice versa for US/UK application.
So, we have one on the anatomy of a blog post – the individual pieces that make up a nice structure to keep things tidy and easy to scan. I liked this one because the idea of a blog post structure as a head-to-toe body actually fitted quite neatly.
And the other is about testing web copy. I use Hemingwayapp.com and Wordcounter.net all the time (mainly for geeky thrills) and I do find it keeps copy in line, especially for things like reading age and highlighting naughty adverbs.
Take a look – they’re not boring I promise.
December 22, 2014 § Leave a comment
Well hey – look at this!
That’s right. It’s quite a lot weird, but I’m back to blogging for hibu – I mean Yell – seven months after promising to never darken their doorway again.
As someone who often writes an essay on a subject they’ve randomly Googled, this is a very useful place for me to put that stuff. My first is about how to make your blogs look nice without spending LOOOOADS of money on stock imagery.
November 15, 2013 § Leave a comment
1. Tomorrow is Bristol time with some of my favourite people in the whole world.
2. I will be wearing sparkly turquoise hot pants. Because I won’t be 24 forever.
3. Wraps tonight – yup, the usual food gratitude.
4. Masterchef (no, it’s not on tonight so don’t get excited – I have one to catch up on from last week).
5. I said some reasonably intelligent things today in meetings.
6. I am wearing a black and white American football jersey as a dress and it’s SO fetch. With big gold jewellery, a checked shirt and platform creepers.
7. I just realised I remembered to plug my tablet in so I have Hotel Transylvania to watch on the way home.
8. One of my Digital Champion customers just emailed me saying “What would I do without you?”.
9. Being tasked with creating a Pinterest board for my team…that’s a pretty ace part of my job.
10. The shoes I desperately needed to turn up today DID.
Quite grateful, despite an awful day. God these lists help. 🙂
October 11, 2013 § Leave a comment
Well gosh, I’ve gone and done it again. Said yes to some writing. Now, I know that sounds quite obvious considering that I am a writer but there are quite a LOT of words I’m supposed to write…
That aside, two years after I was asked to start blogging for my company, I now am. Our rebrand as hibu is very close to my heart as I’ve been doing lots of the copywriting required, so it feels like the right time to be a public voice for the emerging brand.
My first post is just an introduction to a three-week series I’m starting on B2B blogging – if you have any questions you could go bombard the comments section while we’re all hanging around waiting to kick-start this thing.